1. The official name of the country is
B. The Republic of Spain
C. The Kingdom of Spain
D. The Spanish Federation of Autonomous Communities
2. In Spain the film "The Sound of Music" goes by the name of
A. Tu y Yo (You and I)
B. El Sonido de La Musica (The Sound of Music)
C. Sonrisas y Lagrimas (Smiles and Tears)
D. Maria y El Capitan (Maria and the Captain)
3. A small part of Spain is located within
4. With an average altitude of 660 meters, Spain has the ____ highest average altitude of any country in Europe.
5. In the year 1600 the largest city in Spain was
6. Spain has ____ Autonomous Communities.
7. Which Autonomous Community contains the cities of Cadiz, Granada, Malaga and Seville?
C. Castile and Leon
D. Castile La Mancha
8. How many Autonomous Communities consist entirely of islands?
9. Madrid, the capital of Spain, is located in which Autonomous Community?
B. Castile La Mancha
C. Castile and Leon
10. Where was Pablo Picasso from?
11. Which dance originated in Andalusia?
12. Spain used to be
A. ruled by Muslims.
B. a Republic.
C. an empire.
D. all of the above.
13. The Canary Islands are in the
B. Sargasso Sea
C. Atlantic Ocean
14. The Canary Islands were named after
C. a rich Spanish family
D. None of the above
15. Salvador Dalí was
16. Spain has a Parliament and
A. a President of the Government.
B. a Prime Minister.
C. a Chancellor.
D. A and B.
17. In the 19th century Spain fought wars with
C. the USA
D. B and C
A. is one language that is official throughout all of Spain (Castilian Spanish).
B. is a total of four official languages in Spain: Castilian Spanish throughout the country and three languages that are co-official in their respective Autonomous Communities (Catalan, Basque and Galician).
C. are four unofficial regional languages (Asturian, Aragonese, Aranese and Valencian).
D. All of the above.
19. Tomatoes, potatoes, avocados, tobacco and cacao
B. are all words that were adopted by the English language from Spanish.
C. All of the above.
D. None of the above.
20. The cities with the largest populations in Spain, from largest to smallest, are
A. Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Seville, Zaragoza
B. Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Valencia, Zaragoza
C. Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Zaragoza, Seville
D. Madrid, Seville, Barcelona, Valencia, Zaragoza
Check your score at Spain the Blog: the Answers