Sunday, November 30, 2014
Spanish Dictionary Accused of Racism / Police Woman Returns From Mtaernity Leave, Gets Killed In Shootout / Real Madrid's Breaks Own Record
My latest on Newsvine.
Police woman returned from maternity leave killed in bank robbery shootout
Real Madrid rewrote the club's record books after beating Malaga 2-1 to record their 16th successive win in all competitions. Goals from Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale proved decisive as the European champions continued their phenomenal run of form which has seen them brush aside …
Thursday, November 27, 2014
I just wanted to write down the Spanish translation of one of my favorite lines from Star Trek. It's from the Bride of Chaotica (La Novia de Caótica) episode of Star Trek Voyager. And it sounds just as great in Spanish as in English, IMO.
"The clever fiendishness of your evil plan is brilliant!" = "¡El diabólico ingenio de su malvado plan es magnifico!"
Sunday, November 23, 2014
As tourism to Spain grows, Spaniards staying home: study finds continuing decrease in 'outbound' travel
Spanish consumers seem more focused on debt reduction and saving than ever before. Reducing and eliminating non-essential spending, including travel, is now the Spanish way, according to
The new report, "Tourism Flows Outbound in Spain," finds that Spaniard's visiting European countries continued to decrease in 2013 and the number of visitors on long haul destinations declined as well.
About 60% of departures in Spain are made during the summer holidays, with Easter, Christmas (although traditionally spent with the family), New Year’s and national holidays accounting for most of the remaining 40%.
Read more here.
Trying to solve the mystery of murdered poet Federico Garcia Lorca's burial site / Madrid soccer team to help widow evicted from home
My latest Newsvine articles:
Saturday, November 15, 2014
|Monedero & Iglesias|
In a sardonic interview published in today's El Mundo newspaper, Monedero was asked why so many atheists believe in Pablo Iglesias (the leader of the new and increasingly popular crowdfunded political party Podemos) and so many believers do not? His reply:
"We're a lapsed Catholic country, just as we're a lapsed democratic country."
Monday, November 10, 2014
My latest Newsvine article looks at the independence consultation in Catalonia on November 9, while my last post was to a guide to Spain's new Podemos political party:
Sunday, November 9, 2014
Thursday, October 30, 2014
My latest Spanish related Newsvine posts:
Monday, October 20, 2014
Sunday, October 19, 2014
This news follows yesterday's announcement that Romero was..."
[Update, Tuesday 21 October 2014: Romero has now reportedly tested negative four times and has been officially declared cured.]
Links to two other recent Newsvine posts:
Teresa Romero subject of political fight
Spain: Elevator capital of the world.
Saturday, October 18, 2014
|Spain's sunny southern coast|
The UK's Post Office has found that the Costa del Sol in Andalusia, Spain provides the best value for money this winter. The Algarve coast of neighboring Portugal came in third. Bali, Indonesia was sandwiched in between at number two.
In a new Winter Sunshine Report barometer of 18 destinations in Europe and further afield, Post Office Travel Money found the Costa del Sol cheapest for a bargain break. The cost of eight tourist staples, including a family meal, drinks, suncream and insect repellent, was just £44 ($71 / €55). Bali (£47 / $76 / €59) just beat out Portugal’s Algarve (£48 / $77 / €60) for the runner-up bargain spot.
Winter vacationers looking for more guaranteed winter sun in Europe will find great value on Tenerife in Spain's Canary Islands at £58 ($93 / €73) for the eight items and Ayia Napa in Cyprus at £60 ($96 / €76). According to the Post Office, local prices in the four eurozone destinations above are either level with last year or slightly cheaper.