Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A little slice of life from Barcelona


According to the "always reliable" Telefonica, there have been Internet problems throughout Spain all day today. Which could explain why it's taking forever for me to do simple things, like access my blog. So, I'll keep this short and just say that if you are ever in Barcelona and want a mildly weird experience, go to the Carrefour "Express" (lol) supermarket on Las Ramblas. (It used to be a Champion Supermarket and only recently converted to a Carrefour.) This store is almost always choked with tourists -- mostly young ones buying large bottles of beer and other alcoholic beverages. I mean it takes forever to get in and out of that place! I stopped in this evening on my way home just to pick up a carton of milk. It took me about 40 minutes, most of which was spent standing in an incredibly long line. But while you're waiting you can hear all sorts of languages spoken and see how many Europeans, and others, dress when they are on vacation. Not always pretty, but often interesting. Even though the store is not on the beach, it's not uncommon to see people in bathing suits, with towels around their necks and, of course, there are lots of white folks with newly reddened skin. I'll bet that only one in ten of the shoppers in there at any one time is a local resident -- and probably only one in 20 of those is a Spaniard. So, it's a curious experience, even if a little nerve racking at times. Of course, once you leave you enter the great pool of humanity flowing up and down Las Ramblas, but that's another story for another day...
C u round!

2 comments:

Nuria said...

hahaha, I couldn't stop laughing, I see it here in Alicante all the time..Love your blog.

Carloz said...

Thanks, Nuria!